The Role of Fractional CTOs in Ensuring Organisational Cybersecurity
Date: 16 August 2023
Technology plays a huge role in business today, and this is especially true for new ventures. Without a presence on the web, it's very likely that some of their target customers may never find them.
Businesses that are aware of how important technology is may want start looking at hiring a CTO. Those who cannot afford to hire a full-time CTO may look for freelancers that can provide CTO services. You may be starting your business and you cannot help but wonder if this is something that your business needs.
What is a Fractional CTO?
A fractional CTO is an executive who can provide the technological guidance that businesses or organisations need. Fractional CTOs have a lot of experience in handling different issues that are related to tech. They have probably held senior positions in other companies in the past. They are now doing consulting work when needed by companies.
Companies have started to look for CTOs because they want to improve the security of their computer systems. Cyber attacks and data breaches have increased steadily over the past years. The last thing that you want is for your data to be compromised or released to your competitors. The need for a more secure system can prompt you to look at fractional CTO cost.
What is the Role of the CTO in Cybersecurity?
The CTO can provide the needed knowledge and information on some key areas such as the following:
- Deploying technologies that will improve the organisation’s overall security.
- Constantly evaluating the systems' security.
- Embedding the needed security information into the processes that the company will undertake.
- Managing and monitoring vendors' cybersecurity.
- Strategising and implementing the organisation’s security defenses.
Cyber threats can damage the reputation of any company. The CTO can help provide the needed defences against them. All of the security aspects can be properly covered to lessen the chances of the company’s downfall due to cyber attacks.
Differences Between a Proactive Vs Reactive Approach in Cybersecurity Management
You want to look for a CTO that can provide reliable CTO consulting services. The CTO should be able to explain thoroughly when you should use a proactive or a reactive approach in cybersecurity management.
What is a Proactive Approach?
A proactive approach means that the CTO will be actively searching for the security weakness of the computer system and the available data. The threats will be identified before they can be used to target the system.
What is a Reactive Approach?
A reactive approach usually refers to steps taken after a security threat has been detected. This is meant to stop the damage that the threat has caused to the system. This type of approach is done after the attack.
Implementing the Fractional CTO Role
Some organisations find it hard to decide whether to hire a CTO on demand or look for someone who can offer full-time work. Remember that a fractional CTO can provide services to different organisations at the same time. This is something that you should consider and see if it is important to you or not.
Steps to Take to Hire the Right Fractional CTO
These are the steps that you can take to find the right people to hire:
- Use your personal and professional networks. You are the founder of the organisation and you have already set up a network of people who can help you. Widen your search for more connections and find the right people who can help improve your business’ security further.
- Post your requirements on a trusted website. Be specific about the job description and requirements to narrow down the people who will send in their applications.
- You can also seek help from tried and tested agencies. They already have a pool of people who can provide excellent virtual CTO services. They may provide some cost-effective options too.
- Access their qualifications. This is the time when you will weed out the people who do not qualify according to your requirements. Set up an effective system for interviewing candidates and doing proper background checks.
- Discuss the terms and conditions with the candidates who can provide the best IT solutions as required by your organisation.
Qualities Needed in the Right Fractional CTO
You cannot just hire the first fractional CTO that will offer the services that you want. You need someone who has the experience, skills, and qualifications that will improve your business’s overall security.
- Look for someone with technical skills. The person must be well-versed in different technologies. The person should know various programming languages.
- The person should be proficient in designing the best software system for your organisation.
- A professional fractional CTO should be adept at data analysis and data visualisation.
A CTO consulting services provider should not only have the technical skills to be hired. The person should also have the right management skills to help your business improve. They should know how to listen to the rest of your team and make them feel that their suggestions are noted.
The person should also be good at communications. Even if the fractional CTO will be managing the whole team, this person should know how to spot a good idea. The person should also know how to hype the rest of the team so that they feel motivated to be working towards a common goal.
The Future of Cybersecurity and the Fractional CTO
It cannot be denied that cyber-attacks are becoming more rampant every day. Some things can threaten the effectiveness of any organisation’s cybersecurity. This is why more people are investing in getting an education that is related to IT. This will help them get more IT job opportunities.
People who are knowledgeable in IT will have better jobs with decent pay. The best part is they can choose to work at the office or to work from home. It will depend on the organisation that they will work for.
Fractional CTOs should not only be knowledgeable about Denmark IT jobs. They can also focus on the following cybersecurity trends so that they can keep up with the demands of technology:
- Blockchain Technology – This can be used for applications that require a high level of security. Blockchain helps store and transfer data securely.
- Internet of Things (IoT) – More IoT devices are being released in the market. Fractional CTOs need to come up with ways to diffuse possible IoT-related threats.
- Quantum Computing – This can change the way that data can be protected. At the same time, this can also improve the way that data is processed.
A fractional CTO can execute a wide variety of tech responsibilities. This is someone who can oversee and strengthen your overall tech backbone. The person is in charge of providing the best cybersecurity efforts, crisis management, and so much more.
It can be a bit pricey for start-ups to hire a fractional CTO especially when you are just starting your business. Still, this can be an investment that you can consider to reach the goals of your business. This can also help you establish tech infrastructure that will help your organisation over the long term.